Definition of Hell: On your last day on earth, the person you were at the moment of your death will meet the person you could have become.
On January 16, 1988, Epic Records released the single from Michael Jackson’s BAD album, entitled “Man in the Mirror”. The song topped the Billboard hot 100 for 2 weeks and became the number 1 single iTunes download in the US and the UK, selling over 1.3 million digital copies! The chorus contains one of the best motivational quotes of all time.
I’m starting with the man in the mirror.
I’m asking him to change his ways.
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change
Here are some starting points for finding YOUR man in the mirror – for finding YOUR place in this world – for finding the person you SHOULD become:
- Being healthy is not something you DO – it is something you ARE.
- Stop thinking so small. Think big – dream bigger- achieve so much more because you TRIED
- Stop worrying about being liked. That takes far too much effort – instead, focus on liking the reflection of yourself.
- Stop with the excuses already. Randy Pauchs, in The Last Lecture, says, “It is not about the cards you are dealt, but how you play the hand”.
- Strive to be transparent and authentic. This takes work. In fact, it takes a life time of work. But strive to be someone who has nothing to hide and nothing of which to be ashamed. Strive to be exactly who it appears you are. THAT is authenticity.
I’m gonna make a change, for once in my life
It’s gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right..
Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett, performed by Michael Jackson, produced by Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones.